Commencement For Families & Guests
Our commitment to accessibility applies to all of our Commencement ceremonies. Wheelchair space and seating for mobility-impaired guests are located on the 2nd floor of the arena. Ushers will be available with directions and assistance. Wheelchairs are not available at the arena. Sign language interpreters will be located on the commencement stage.
Preparing for Commencement
The families and guests of our graduates are a key part of Commencement ceremonies at Texas Southern University (TSU). We welcome you to our campus with open arms. To make your visit as smooth as possible, there are various accessibility-related services you can use, transportation advice and maps to help you get to where you need to be. Congratulations on celebrating your graduate. We hope to see you during Commencement.
- Guests should avoid loud cheering and other distractions to allow families of other candidates to hear their name read.
- Guests and Candidates should coordinate a place and time to meet after the ceremony.
- Guests should not block the venue entrances/exits doors.
- Guests are asked to refrain from bringing signs and other large items that may block the view of other guests.
- The use of bullhorns, air horns, and other disruptive devices are prohibited in the arena.
- Guests will not be permitted on the arena floor to snap pictures during the ceremony.
- Guests are restricted from entering the arena floor to mingle with the candidates during the ceremony.
- Flowers, balloons and other celebratory items are restricted on the floor during the ceremony.
For guests who will be traveling to Houston from long distances, we want to help ensure that you have all the information you need to make your stay in the city as comfortable as possible. The section below highlights a few of the hotels near the campus.